Increase font size
Decrease font size

There are many courses you can take that will engage you in research. Actual course listings for each type of course are available under the “Classes” section or by clicking on the titles below.

Modes of Inquiry (IDST 194)

A one credit pass-fail course open to all students (no prerequisites). Students learn to “host” faculty speakers who will discuss their original work, how they became interested in the field, the methods they use, the satisfaction they derive (and the difficulties they have faced), and how undergraduates can get involved. Students interview faculty prior to the class, and post a background summary on the course website. Students who are engaged in research discuss the value of those experiences and offer advice about getting started and finding a mentor. This course meets one of the requirements of the Carolina Research Scholars Program (CRSP). Faculty are invited to participate by the OUR.

Research Methods Courses

Many departments offer courses that include training in specific research methodologies. These courses will teach you the methods that scholars in a given discipline use to ask and pursue research questions. Please consult the Director of Undergraduate Studies in your major department if you have specific questions about courses that teach research methods.

Research-Intensive Courses

Every department offers courses in which over half of the course is devoted to students conducting original research and presenting research conclusions. Many — although not all — of these courses are numbered 195, 295, 395, 495, 595, or 695 (these course numbers are reserved for undergraduate research experiences). You should review the course catalog to obtain course descriptions and specifics about any prerequisites for these courses, since each department is responsible for their own course offerings. Each semester, most departments also offer other courses which have a substantial research component, but since the amount of time devoted to the research component can change depending on the particular instructor, those courses are not listed here. Questions about specific courses should be addressed to the Director of Undergraduate Studies of the relevant department (in the College), or to the person in charge of undergraduate studies in the professional school that is offering the course.

Research-Exposure GRC Courses

Research-exposure courses include research experiences, often with a graduate student who serves as a consultant to help you with the research project. These “Graduate Research Consultants” (GRCs) are only there to coach you—they do not grade your work. For course titles and faculty who have taught courses with GRCs, see the database of Research-Exposure Courses.