Richard Macksey National Undergraduate Humanities Research Symposium10/15/2021
Johns Hopkins University’s third annual Richard Macksey National Undergraduate Humanities Research Symposium is designed to offer students across the country the chance to gather together and disseminate their humanities and interdisciplinary research on a national scale. This year’s event will be virtual as well, held live April 8th-10th, 2022, and the application portal is now open. The submission deadline is February 15, 2022.
The 2022 Macksey Symposium will feature the following:
- A robust national student audience: undergraduate students from any two or four-year college or university who would like to present their original humanities and/or interdisciplinary scholarship.
- Multiple panels of student papers and original creative works.
- A keynote delivered by the contemporary poet Elisabet Velasquez, who recently released When We Make It and whose poetry has been featured in TIDAL, NBC, Latina Magazine, and more. Elisabet Velasquez will share in a fireside chat with students about creative inspiration and her research process.
- Multiple professional development panels featuring Johns Hopkins graduate students and faculty as well as JHU Press editors.
Following the conference, student participants will also have the opportunity to work with our peer editors to revise their presentation into a journal-length publication for our journal of proceedings, the Macksey Journal. Student feedback about Macksey has been overwhelming positive, with 93% of students saying that they were very or highly likely to recommend Macksey to a friend or colleague and over 90% rating their experience at the conference as satisfied or highly satisfied.
Registration will be $175; late registration will be $205. You can learn more at our conference site: https://krieger.jhu.edu/macksey-symposium/. They are also holding virtual drop-in hours for students to ask questions about the symposium, the application, and creating an abstract. Those hours are:
- November 10, 2021: 1:00-2:00pm eastern
- November 18, 2021: 5:00-6:00pm eastern
- January 27, 2022: 5:00-6:00pm eastern
- February 9, 2022: 1:00-2:00pm eastern
Students can email email@example.com to indicate their interest in drop-in hours.