Check out a full list of programs that offer a research component.
“Engaging in research abroad allows students to benefit from two of the most impactful educational experiences simultaneously. Learning about a new culture and participating in cutting-edge research will also make Carolina students highly competitive in today’s global economy.” – Troy Blackburn, Associate Dean and Director, Office for Undergraduate Research
The Study Abroad Office and can help you identify study abroad programs, scholarships, and opportunities which will allow you to gain research experience abroad for academic credit. There are domestic, international, and virtual offerings available via UNC Study Abroad. The resources there also include a list of featured semester programs as well as featured summer programs for you to consider.
In addition, the UNC Institute for the Environment has established a network of field sites with locations in North Carolina and abroad. The site locations offer a variety of ecosystem settings ranging from the mountains to the coast to urban settings to tropical rain forests. The field site program is coordinated through the Study Abroad Office of the College of Arts and Sciences, with the exception of the Sustainable Triangle Field Site.
Benefits of Conducting Research Abroad
- Broaden your network of research connections for future career growth
- Expand your perspective of research as practiced in different settings globally
- Access research opportunities that aren’t available on campus, including field studies
- Develop cross-cultural competence that opens up a wealth of immediate personal and long-term professional opportunities
- Build new skills and traits that employers seek such as curiosity, flexibility, increased confidence, independence, initiative, and problem-solving
Types of Programs With Study Abroad Opportunities
- Programs that fully focus on research
- Programs that include a research course option
- Student-initiated programs where a student finds a research opportunity to pursue for credit
Learn more about studying abroad, and get a list of resources, programs, and information via the UNC Study Abroad site. You can also make an appointment to speak withStudy Abroad advisorsto address any questions you might have.