Become a Carolina Research Scholar
Opportunities & Courses
Become a Carolina Research Scholar (CRSP)
The Carolina Research Scholar Program (CRSP) fosters and expands engagement in undergraduate research at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The CRS Program builds an undergraduate community based on research, scholarship and inquiry-driven learning. It also serves as a framework to guide students in navigating the process of designing and pursuing mentored research, scholarship or creative performance, communicating their discoveries and findings to the larger community, and sharing their experiences with others. Carolina Research Scholars who successfully meet the requirements are recognized for their contributions to UNC’s intellectual and cultural climate with the “Carolina Research Scholar” transcript designation. All students are eligible to earn Carolina Research Scholar Program recognition.
Please note: Students who enrolled Fall 2016 (Class of 2020), or Fall 2017 (Class of 2021) have the option of pursuing the CRSP transcription designation under the previous criteria or completing the program requirements under the revised criteria. The changes below expand the possibilities for students to engage in research. To receive the transcript designation you must complete all 4 categories.
Category 1: Completion of one of the following research courses:
- IDST 184: Research Beyond Academia, a one-credit pass/fail course.
- IDST 194: Modes of Inquiry a one-credit pass/fail course; or
- One research methods course., at least 3 credits with a C grade or higher.
- One research exposure course, at least 3 credits with a C grade or higher.
Category 2: Completion of two research-intensive courses (or a total of 6 credits) OR 1 of the following options:
- 1 research-intensive course (or a total of 3 credits) AND 150 hours of mentored research (equivalent of 1 semester at 10 hours per week)
- 300 hours of mentored research (equivalent of 2 semesters at 10 hours per week) with a UNC-CH faculty member. Your research mentor will need to provide a statement to verify your hours.
Note: An official transcript that you purchase from UNC will be required to verify course completion for Steps 1 and 2. An unofficial transcript uploaded into your application will automatically disqualify you for this designation.
Category 3: Attendance at at least two Office for Undergraduate research workshops
- Attendance at two CRSP workshops (e.g. research ethics, literature/database searches, citation/reference management software, digital media, etc.).
Category 4: Presentation of your research conducted at UNC-CH. This requirement can be fulfilled by presenting your research at one of the following:
- Celebration of Undergraduate Research.
- UNC-Chapel Hill campus conference or symposium that is open to the public.
- Professional conference outside of UNC-Chapel Hill.
Note: A faculty member in your department will be prompted to confirm that the event meets the requirements for a professional conference or meeting and that you presented your research at the event.
Additionally, if the conference is not on the pre-approved list, you may file a petition to add the conference here. Please note that department- and course-specific symposia do not fulfill this requirement.
Click here, if you are applying CRSP transcript designation under the current criteria.
Applications will be verified one month after the end of the semester.
To receive your Carolina Research Scholar designation, you must submit your application by:
- November 20th for fall transcripts
- May 1st for spring transcripts
- July 20th for summer transcripts
The application for students will close at 5:00 PM on the above dates, but will remain open for research mentors to verify the student’s presentation until the end of the semester. If you are graduating the semester you apply your name will not appear in the graduation program since review of your application will not occur until a month after the semester ends when all grades have been posted.
Receive updates and program information
Please register for the CRS Program so that we can inform you of upcoming workshops and programs.
Visit the FAQ page to learn more about conducting undergraduate research at UNC-CH and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions. We also encourage you to sign up for the OUR e-newsletter, read the OUR blog, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.